Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Legendary: Dark City


As you know, I loves me some Marvel Legendary. Not only do I love the system, as an old school Marvel comic fan, this game lets me play out some of my old favorite story lines (ish). Whatever, this game is a lot of fun for me. Because of Legendary DXP (the reskinned, app version of the game) I have a strong familiarity with the base game schemes, villains, and of course the heroes.

Since I'm on a solo kick for the game, I started up the second campaign (as described here). This time, the campaign centers around the content in Dark City. Dark City was one of the first expansion sets for Legendary and it brought a lot of content to the game. With that in mind, I decided I would limit my choices of heroes to exclusively the Dark City options.  The heroes here pretty much fall into three groups: X-Force, Marvel Knights, and X-Men. I have played with the cards from the set before, but not with any regularity, so for the first chapter of the campaign I randomly picked a set of heroes and ended up with a split of X-Force and X-Men in Wolverine (X-Force), Cable, Domino, Iceman, Prof X

Scenario 1: Capture Baby Hope
Mastermind: Mr. Sinister
Villains: Marauders and MLF
Henchmen: (Phalanax) - it was supposed to be Maggia Goons, but I put the wrong set in, oh well.

It took me a minute to get a handle on where I needed my deck to go with unfamiliar cards, but once things settled in, things were humming along. I snagged the big Cable card and by the end, I was pretty much just playing my whole deck. Results: 64 points, 7 villains escaped, 2 (of 3) twists happened... So I got out alive and just in time. Hero thoughts:

  • Wolverine (X-Force): meh. Lots of draw more cards and feels like the cards really have to combo to work well. If you can thin out all the SHIELD cards, his cards get better.
  • Cable: he packs a wallop (like you'd expect). I'm pretty sure I'm going to line him up for the last scenario
  • Domino: She brings a lot of cheap flexibility to your deck (she can be either attack or recruit for most of the card) - also more draws. She isn't a big hitter, but makes your deck better with most of her cards. I'll probably use her with Cable in the last scenario
  • Iceman: He needs to combo off other cards to excel. I never was in love with the cards I saw. I'll probably use him again in the third scenario
  • Prof. X: better than I thought he was going to be. His cards were interesting and I need to play him more to decide how to best utilize what I saw.
I ended up deciding to keep a Wolverine card for the campaign (meaning he isn't available for the remaining scenarios. 


Scenario 2: Transform Citizens into Demons
Mastermind: Mephisto
Villains: Underworld and Four Horsemen
Hero Villain: Jean Gray
Henchmen: Phalanx + Mr. Sinister Mastermind card

I decided I needed to play out some Marvel Knights this time, so randomly picked three of them (Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Elektra) and then rounded out the deck with two X-Men (Bishop, Angel) and my  Wolverine card. 

In this scheme, each twist adds 5 bystanders to a pile (goblins that can be "rescued" for 2 attack each). The problem with the Goblins is they added 1 attack each to the Jean Grey "Goblin Queen" cards. You lose when 4 Jean Grey cards escape. Well, I think I ended up having something like 18 cards in that stack pretty quickly, meaning that taking out the Goblin Queen wasn't going to happen - the attack was better spent going after the Mastermind (Mephisto). My deck started humming at exactly the right time and I gathered 22 attack and killed knocked out two Mephisto in the same round to end the game. Result: 32 points, 5 villains escaped (2 Jean Grey).  Hero thoughts:
  • Bishop: another big hitter. His cards work well if you can KO cards. If you can thin, he's a good choice.
  • Angel: I have experience with this set and yeah, he is overpowered. You can really get your deck draws going crazy and rescue bystanders a lot. He works well for most deck compositions
  • Iron Fist: an interesting mix of cards, most cheap. Not quite sure he'd work with all decks, but he played really well with Elektra
  • Elektra: Not sure what to expect, but she played well with all the cheap cards I had access to and was a heavy hitter for me.
  • Ghost Rider: Mixed bag for me. His good cards seem to rely on you burning captured villain cards. I picked up a couple of his cards, but usually preferred other options
I ended up keeping a Ghost Rider card since I didn't figure I'd care about re-using his set of cards.

Next up: round three - one of the harder ones to put together. I can't pick heroes I just used nor do I want to use any that I want to use in the last scenario (one of the key points of the campaign is that you cannot use a hero set in back to back scenarios). So for round three, we might end up with the left-overs. See you next time.

Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: