Monday, April 27, 2020

Still Legendary


During the month of June (2017), I discovered something new (old). A user on BGG had created a modified solo system for Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building game. First off, let me just say, I really like this game. It is one of my top 10 games. I enjoy non-generic deck builders (i.e. not Dominion) and this has been the best I've played.

Yeah, COVID helped me rediscover it again. In looking back at what I played, I realized that all I did was play the base set's solo rules rather than the modified version of the solo play by Sky Zero. Well, I replayed the first campaign - base set only. The results? A desire to play more. Also, a realization that my experience with the Legendary DXP app on my tablet made me a much better player (with the base set at least).

For those not familiar with the campaign structure, basically it is 4 pre-selected consecutive scenarios. You play with a two player setup, but only manage one hand. Heroes come in at the start of each round and push one out (much like the villains in the city track). You also do two draws on the villain deck each round. Between scenarios, you choose a new team of heroes - you can't use a hero set in back to back scenarios, which makes managing your 5 heroes each turn a little interesting as you gear yourself for the final scenario. After each scenario, you can buy 1 card (3-4 cost) and use it to replace a card in your starter hand. The trick being - once you buy that new "starter" card, you cannot use that hero again during the campaign. You have to plan a little. Not knowing the heroes as well this time around, I have to hunt for the cool combos while not taking someone out I'll need later.

I have to say I found the first campaign really easy. Here are the results.

Scenario 1: Midtown Bank Robbery
Mastermind: Red Skull
Villains: Hydra & Skrulls
Henchmen: Savage Land Mutants
Gambit, Rogue, Hawkeye, Storm, Deadpool (random)
62 points - no villians escaped

Scenario 2: Negative Zone Prison Breakout
Mastermind: Magneto
Villains: Brotherhood and Masters of Evil
Henchmen: Hand Ninjas and Sentinel + Add Red Skull Mastermind card to the Villain Deck
Spider-man, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Thor, Wolverine (random, except Wolverine)
I carried one Gambit card in my starter deck
66 points - 7 villians escaped

Scenario 3: Replace Earth's Leaders with Killbots
Mastermind: Dr. Doom
Villains: Enemies of Asgard and Radiation
Henchmen: Doombot Legion + Add Red Skull and Magneto Mastermind cards to the Villain Deck
Cap, Storm, Cyclops, Deadpool, Hawkeye (I picked this setup),
I carried Gambit and one Nick Fury card
74 points - 6 villians escaped

Scenario 4 & Final Showdown: The Legacy Virus (12 wounds)
Mastermind: Loki
Villains: Enemies of Asgard and Spider Foes
Henchmen: Savage Land Mutates + Add Red Skull, Magneto and Dr. Doom Mastermind cards to the villain deck
Hulk, Wolverine, Rogue, Black Widow, Iron Man
83 points - no villains escaped, only1 wound taken!

The Legacy Virus scheme can be rough if a lot of scheme twists hit early, but I ALWAYS had a tech in my hand when it came up and pretty much avoided wounds altogether. Honestly, knowing the cards made it really fast and kinda easy. Black Widow is crazy overpowered when you can grab bystanders left and right. Team her with Rogue and not sure many scenarios would be hard to beat.

I'm going to move onto the second campaign, which is Dark City stuff. My plan is to limit my hero choice to ONLY the Dark City expansion. This should make the first couple of games interesting as I learn about the heroes and their strengths. Don't get me wrong, I've played with some of them in the past, but not extensively like I have with the base set. As much as I enjoy the game, I know I'll enjoy learning more about cards I've had but not used on a regular basis.

Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: