Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Collection Churn August 2017

Given the rate of change in previous months, things were relatively quite in August on the game collection front. I acquired a few new items, but they were really more or less late arrivals.

Let's start with the outgoing items:
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft the Boardgame - when this originally came out, I was really excited. I loved the Ravenloft concept as kid (when TSR originally introduced it), and while I'm not really a role player anymore, I love me a good dungeon crawl. This isn't a bad game by any means, but I'd rather play Descent given all the time and effort I've put into painting my collection (plus, I think it is just the better game). For those not familiar with Castle Ravenloft, it is a slick co-op dungeon crawler with a random "dungeon" layout each time (the best analogy I can come up with is the Diablo computer game - each level is the same story, but the layout is random). 
  • Kingdom Builder + Nomads, Crossroads, Marshlands, and some mini-expansions - Kingdom Builder is a top five game for me. So why did I sell it off? See my notes in the acquired section below. 
  • Hare and Tortoise - once upon a time, I thought it'd be cool to own all the Spiel de Jahres winners. But the realities of limited space and games that never ever got played finally got a hold of me and this ended up on the sale block.  I think I only ever played the game once (and I don't think it was my copy). I was thinking it might be a good family game, but I don't think this would have ever gotten played.
And the acquired:
  • Kingdom Builder Big Box 2nd edition - As I mentioned, I really like this game. So much that when Queen games announced a Kickstarter for the Marshlands expansion, I jumped without a bit of hesitation. They also were offering an empty Big Box you could buy to hold everything. About a month after that, they announced another expansion (Harvest) and a different box. Well, I was a little annoyed, but they setup the KS to handle those folks that ordered Marshlands and Big Boxes. So, all was good with the world. I should have received everything by Nov 2016. Except that nobody did AND - Queen decided that the best thing to do was just ignore their customer base and not give updates or answer inquires. Around July of this year, they announced the game would be shipping soon. To make up for all the problems and delays, they simply shipped all backers a full Big Box (which has every single thing that has been released for the game). Since I didn't need what was essentially two copies, I sold off my original game and just kept the new. The general consensus of the backers was that Queen screwed up financially and had been using new KS campaigns to pay for previous campaigns and had screwed up badly at some point. While I might buy a Queen game again someday, I'll not be backing them through KS any more.
  • Fields of Arle - way earlier in the year (I think April), I made a trade offer for FoA. Then I moved and it took forever before I got around to getting the games shipped from my side. Well, I did eventually get my side shipped off. And then, it took forever before I ever heard back and got a delivery of FoA from the other side. Well, it did finally arrive. I like Ewe's later games and this was described as a really big sandbox game, which I think works well for me and my love, Alyson. We like Agricola ok and really enjoy Caverna. This is yet another farming game, but from what I hear, has less contention than most of his games (which some friends I have find disappointing). That's ok by me - I still have Agricola, Caverna, and Ora et Labora. 
Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: