Tuesday, December 19, 2017

2017 Year in Review

Well, if this year has taught me anything, it is that life just doesn't always go as planned.  For me, in 2017, this has been especially true in both my personal life as well as my "gaming life". Since this blog is about the games, let's just stick with that.

I have a couple of Geeklists I like to do each year and I did my best to keep them current as the year went on. The first was my list of 2017 Goals. The list was based on my plans:

  • Work through painting a lot more of my Descent 2nd ed collection
  • Thin out my collection
  • Put some more repetition in at least one game each month.

Well, I moved in May and I can pretty well say that since moving, I have not spent much if any energy at painting. In fact, things had gotten crazy in earlier in the spring and put painting on hold for me. I need to just carve out some time to paint - it is like chicken soup for my soul and it relaxes me and encourages my creative side. In 2018, I think I'll avoid too many specifics around painting and just say - I'd like to be a bit more regular about it. To jump start this, I agreed to finish painting my Mice and Mystics set and trade it. 

As for thinning out my collection - as I noted in an early post, I've had a net reduction of 38 games and 8 expansions from my collection. I have since sold of my Pathfinder ACG set so that brings the total to 39 games and 17 expansions less than I started with this year. If you are interested in seeing the full list of games and why they left (or entered) my collection, you can find the list here.

Finally, thanks in part to a couple of smaller/shorter games and lots of really good conversions of boardgames from the tabletop to the iPad, there were a fair number of games that saw me get in a lot more playings this year:
  • Paperback
  • Race for the Galaxy
  • Cthulhu Realms
  • Biblios
  • Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
  • Twilight Struggle
  • Automobiles
  • Can't Stop
  • Carcassonne
  • Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
  • 7 Wonders Duel
  • Codenames
  • Epic Card Game
  • Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
  • Quarriors!
  • Santorini
  • Spires
All of those were games that saw at least 5 plays (and there are still a few that might crack the list). For me, that is a pretty big list given that I didn't attend any conventions this year. I'll cover all my Nickels and Dimes in depth in January, but for now I'll just say that is a pretty good list as far as I'm concerned. 

As far as 2018 goes...

As I said above, painting will be a something I try and return to doing more. I don't see a whole lot changing as far as my goal of continuing to tighten up my collection. I really don't need to have a crazy broad library of games that might get played only once a year (at best). Which means that the other two goals (reduce the collection and play individual games more often) are likely to also be part of my 2018 goals. 

This past year also saw my becoming involved with the launch of the Punchboard Media group, which I have really enjoyed. Writing is also something I've been enjoying and I hope I find the energy to continue doing so. I've been a bit sporadic this year and I'm going to try and find a better rhythm in 2018.  I'm also hoping to possible do some joint writing efforts / contributions with other members of the group in 2018 and I know that a couple of ideas have been tossed about already. I'm looking forward to those collaborations as we all like talking about games. Stick around, lots of good stuff coming next year.

Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: