Thursday, January 17, 2019

Painting Descent (2019)

In a random discussion that was being had yesterday, I got to wondering how long I've been working on painting my Descent game. Much to my surprise, the earliest picture I could find of my Descent 2nd edition work - ie something that I had painted - was from August 2013! Wow...

All my painted monsters from the base set
I mean, this isn't the only thing I've been painting. Heck, this isn't even the only edition of Descent I've worked on in that same timeframe. But 5+ years is a lot of time to spend painting one game.

All the monsters above (31 figures) and all the heroes (8) were finished in the fall of 2015 (the full base set of the game). Since that time, I've also acquired and finished painting:
  • All the lieutenants from the base game (6)
  • Skeleton and wolf familiar proxies (2)
  • Villager proxies (4)
  • Lair of the Wyrm expansion (8 monsters, 2 heroes)
  • Valyndra Lieutenant (LotW)
  • Crusade of the Forgotten expansion (9 monsters, 4 heroes)
  • Trollfens expansion (7 monsters, 2 heroes)
All my painted figures from Lair of the Wyrm
Then there is the currently in progress stuff:
  • Bol'Goreth Lieutenant (Trollfens) 
  • Labyrinth of Ruin expansion (13 monsters, 4 heroes)
All my painted figures from Trollfens
AND THEN, there is the waiting to be done stuff*:
  • LoR Lieutenants (3 + 1 hero)
  • Shadow of Nerekhall expansion (12 monsters, 4 heroes)
  • Manor of Ravens expansion (8 monsters, 2 heroes)
  • Mists of Bilehall expansion (12 monsters)
  • Guardians of Deephall expansion (9 monsters, 4 heroes)
  • Crown of Destiny expansion (9 monsters, 4 heroes)
  • Treaty of Champions expansion (9 monsters, 4 heroes)
So that brings me to a total of 64 monsters painted, 16 heroes painted + 6 misc. I only have 76 more monsters and 23 more heroes to finish! Ugh! I really hope that it doesn't take me 5+ years to work through. If I get through the WIP (work in progress) stuff, the LoR Lieutenants, Shadow of Nerekhall, and one of the Guardians, Crown or Treaty sets by the end of this year, I'll be really happy. That would be an additional 34 monsters, 4 Lieutenants, and 13 heroes. That seems like a really reasonable amount for a year right? That's like one figure a week for 2019 - heck, if I can do two a week, that's all of them. Yeah, right!

I'll get there eventually. It seems like a small thing, but the game is certainly more entertaining with all the colorful figures on the map than it is with piles of red and white bad guys chasing down a couple grey figures. Which would you rather play?
With paintWithout paint
It drives me crazy playing the game now with painted guys and generic unpainted guys. I'll still do it, but halfway through I start thinking about how I'll paint some of the unpainted stuff. As usual, I'll try and post stuff here for anyone to see.

If you want to see all the work I've done on Descent and keep an eye on what I'm getting done, you can visit this list on BGG

*NOTE: this is just a count of the stuff I own. There are still nine more lieutenants, and five more expansions that I don't own (roughly 44 more monsters + 9 lieutenants + 20 heroes). 

Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: