Monday, May 04, 2020

Marvel Legendary - Civil War Starts With a Bang


Started my new solo campaign. For details see my previous post. This is based on BGG user Sky Zero's campaign and solo rule set. This time around, we are using the expansion set Civil War. I went non-random with my hero selection for the first round. I wanted to be sure to include Speedball (to match the only New Warriors hero with the scenario that actually kicked off the Civil War in the comics. I also felt like I needed to include Captain America (the CW version) and the Falcon (as buddies). I rounded out the bunch with Hercules/Amadeus Chou and The Patriot/Hawkeye.

Campaign Scenarios

Scenario 1: Nitro the Supervillain Threatens Crowds
Mastermind: Misty Knight
Villains: Heroes for Hire & Underworld
Henchmen: Hand Ninjas

I'll just say it - my hero grouping sucked and I got my ass kicked. I didn't defeat a single Mastermind. It was one of those games where every single draw was mediocre and my deck never had direction or synergy. The heroes I bought had very few option for speeding things up - neither deck thinning nor draws. Some of that is just luck - I picked my set of heroes based only on theme, not on what their cards could do. Unfortunately, I wasn't really enamored with any of the stuff I saw.

Of course, part of playing is making the best with what you have, but man, it would have been really hard to come up with a plan that might have changed the outcome. Also, the sidekick thing distracted me - I should have really ignored them. Having them in the deck is all well and good if you are drawing a lot of cards, but otherwise, they are just in the way of your deck.

Not sure who my next set of heroes are going to be, but I'm going to go with another blind draw of heroes and see if it doesn't work out a little better. I hope the scenario and Masterminds aren't going to amp up the difficulty. Not sure my ego can take another hit like this ;)

See you next time!

Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: