Saturday, May 16, 2020

More Marvel Champions


In my ongoing exploration of Marvel Champions (solo), I played a couple more games. I wanted to get an idea of what the other hero and aspects decks were like, so I have kept to the starter scenario setup - yep, all my plays have been against the standard Rhino (I&II) setup. Spider-man and She-Hulk have had their shot, so time for some others to step into the arena.

First up was the King of Wakanda, The Black Panther. I went with the suggested pairing for him - Protection and found that he had no trouble at all with Rhino. While not the power house that is the She-Hulk, the Black Panther (with some help from a tough Luke Cage, and a couple Med Teams) were more than able to hold off the scheme and baddies until I had enough upgrades to unleash on him. In fact, the Black Panther armor transfers damage from you, to a bad guy, which is both a nice heal and attack that lets you get rid of the one of bad guys and whittle the arch villain down.

Next up was Tony Stark. Iron Man takes a turn or two (or three or four) to build up. I got an early Stark Tower in play, which let me pull a tech card out of the discard pile - essentially letting me use a tech to pay for other cards, then pull it back into my hand. Because of this, I quickly got a suit built and after that, the Rhino didn't stand a chance. Iron Man could really struggle if you don't get the cards you need early on, because the scheme can really build up on you, but if you can get some ally help to keep the scheme level down, Iron Man can really go to town.

Hey look! I organized my game.
Despite how easy the Rhino villain/setup is to beat, it works really well for getting a taste for how the hero decks should work. I still haven't played Captain Marvel, but I'm ready to move on and give Klaw and some other cards a go. Not quite sure what hero/aspect combo I'm going to give a whirl, but I may just have to give Black Panther the first crack at Klaw (its only appropriate).

So far I'm impressed how varied the heroes and the aspects actually feel. Each really has a different and to be honest, straightforward (once you know) approach to playing. I'm surprised how well this plays solo (it not only has interesting choices so far, but has been entertaining as well).

Be sure to check us out at PunchBoard Media!

No comments: