Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Whatcha Doin? This and that...

Summer is busy! Work, and 4 day a week swim lessons for the kids has kept me busy. That and taking advantage of my pool on the weekends, but I digress. Hey! Remember me? Um, yeah - cause you are me. Not likely to forget that. Why are you blathering on instead of writing a weeks old session report you still owe us? Owe who? Whatever. Cause I feel like blathering. Anyway...
Ystari games announced a set of expansions called... The Ystari Box (clever!). At any rate, this has expansions for: Caylus Magna Carta, Amyitis, Yspahan, Sylla, Metropolys, and Rio Grande announced it would include Mykerinos: The Nile as well. Sweet! Sweet? You dumbass, you only own two of those (Mykerinos and Caylus Magna Carta). Yeah, but I want Metropolys and I've heard Amyitis, Yspahan and Sylla are decent games. So? You still haven't tried any of them except for Metropolys - in fact, you haven't even played CMC (or the real Caylus). So? Never having played a game has never stopped me from buying! Less picking on me and more blathering!!
I finally got my copy of Timber Tom yesterday. For those that have heard this is a nice looking game and drooled over the pictures, all I can say is - the pictures offer no justice to what you get. I agree with the blathering idiot - it is pretty impressive. And I don't just mean that the 3D board is awesome (it is), but everything is top notch. The box is really sturdy (and surprisingly light despite its size). The cover art is impressive. The interior is the first time I have seen an insert that was perfect (ok, it might be a bit large). The insert is cut foam so there is an exact place for all the components. Player mats? These are the kind that one would normally make to "pimp out" a game - they are foamboard with cutouts for all of a players pieces. This is really a top notch game presentation. I hope the game is decent. I'd be really sad if this was a "Front Porch Classics" type game. Front Porch Classics? Like the three you own and display in your collection? Shut it!
Speaking of Cult of the New - I just can't seem to get enough Heroscape. Erik and I pitched in on an order and I finally got a couple of the Ticalla Jungle sets. I also got one each of the wave 9 set. I'll eventually want to get more I'm sure, but for now I'll need to see what these guys can do. This to go along with the two new castle sets I got. And the 4 boxes of Minions and Drones I found at Walmart. I thought you were all into the HEROscape thing. Give up on that already? Nope, not at all. But, I did get a pretty good sized collection of them. I have 34 more Marvel heroes and villains (on top of the 10 that come in the official Marvel set) and a common squad (S.H.I.E.L.D Agents). That includes the entire Fantastic Four, a rouges gallery of Spider-Man villains, some X-Men, etc. You have all the X-Men? Um, no. Avengers? No. Brotherhood of Mutants? Sigh - no. Magneto? No. Geez, really? You don't even have Magneto? What about The Masters of Evil? Well, you did say Spidey-Villians, so you must have the Sinister Six then... Well... Oh come on! Don't start in on me! There are a number of incarnations of the six and well, I just don't have Kraven or the Vulture yet. And now Ashton is asking about Batman guys, so DC is coming soon. What about Carnage? Ok, so all these guys are Heroclix guys - Carnage is a rare or some crap and sells for like $15 - a bit much for one retarded guy. Ashton is not getting Carnage.
Speaking of Ashton. Besides Heroscape, I got to teach him Doom the other day. Teach? I think he took YOU to school! Well, yeah that's true. I've read over and over that the marines get the short end of the stick, so I was going easy on him. I gave him extra armor and didn't attack him unless I was adjacent. I explained that he won if he found the red key and got to the exit. I told him I won if I fragged him 6 times. 6 is apparently a lot to him, so he didn't mind at all getting killed. It also helped that his abilities let him cancel three of my cards and let him walk through my bad guys. I killed him like three times, which I think just helped "jump" him towards the exit faster.
I also taught him Zooloretto. He doesn't understand the concepts fully yet, but he gets the basic mechanics well enough. Despite snagging males and females of all the species I had, I still only managed a point more than he had because I forgot to fill out my 10pt area.
I'm starting to realize that he can grasp the rules to games. I could teach him another dozen games pretty easily, but he hasn't developed enough to understand anything besides some very basic strategies (so in many ways it is like playing with Jerry, except that Ashton is 5, so I can forgive him - Jerry is just annoying). Recently we've played Epic Duels (which is so retardedly simple I'm not sure why there is such a big following - really, it is a basic game and skirmishes are 10 minute affairs), Runebound, Mutant Chronicles - there are a dozen more that are easily in his grasp I'm sure. You just said that. Yeah, I'm getting tired now. Time to end the blathering.

1 comment:

Mike G. said...

Teaching the kids games has been a lot of fun. Melissa learned Travel Blokus tonight. She enjoyed it a lot and understood the basics of the game. She did pretty well considering it was her first time out and I already know she will be a tough player after a few more games. Allison is interested in gaming as well although she is younger and does not quite get certain things yet. We always include her so I think she will grasp some of these concepts at a younger than her sister. I think I will teach Melissa FITS this weekend. She watched Bobby, Christa and I play last week and she was facinated by it. While she probably could not calculate her own score, I think she could do ok in the game.