Saturday, April 21, 2007

Poker Chips

Once upon a time, I had some chips. Now, these chips were nothing special - 11.5g dice chips that are available at Target and Walmart. I ordered a set of stickers made up and applied them to the chips. The stickers had "AZ Boardgamers" on them, so when we moved to Nebraska, I traded them to Dion Garner. I don't know why, but I now feel like I want to get a new set of chips. I'm trying to decide if I want to get a nice set, or go back to an inexpensive set. I've been looking at the expensive chips out there and they run about $1 a chip. If I do decide on a nice chip, it will likely be: Turf Club or either Paulson's James Bond or Paulson's Pharohs.
The Turf Club chips are leading for a couple reasons - they have solid edge colors, loads of colors and denominations, and they are far cheaper (I've seen them in the $0.70 range). I've ordered a sample set to see how I like them and if I want to start getting them. If I go with a nice set, I'll likely have to spread out the order over time.
If I decide on a cheaper set, then I'll probably go back to the dice chips from Target, and start working on a new custom sticker set. I've been trying to decide what graphics I'd go with. Huskers, Dragons (I did dragons for the AZ Boardgamer chips), Railroad theme, etc. The biggest issue with the custom ones - the graphics are really much smaller than you think (than I thought any way). That, and the dice only come in 5 colors. I'd really like to be able to have 7. Ideally I'd like to have $1, $2, $5, $10, $25, $100, $500

No comments: