Monday, December 10, 2007

Nickels and Dimes

Its getting closer to that time of year. The end of the year. Time for lots of looks back at the year that was. For board gamers (and bored gamers), that means looking at their nickels and dimes (or for those that don't get that - the playings of games that got either 5 or 10 plays). I'm not sure why this is such an obsession with gamers. In some cases it shows what a gamer really likes to play. In others, it just shows that their group plays the same fillers a lot ;). Interestingly, Liar's Dice is nowhere on my list this year :(. A look at my playings this year shows that I have a couple games sitting on the fence. To wit - a couple playings of Hansa - Changing Winds and BattleLore will push those two into the dime category. Having said that, I also said I wouldn't play any more of this variation of Hansa, so I guess it'll have to live with "nickel" status. I'd love to put a couple more BattleLore playings under my belt - live or on Vassal. Also on the periphery is Gulo Gulo with four plays. If you've played this and have kids, you'll know why it can go from 4 to 10 in one night with ease. Then there are a load of games that are sitting on the nickel fence.
  • Hansa
  • Oh Hell!
  • Taluva
  • Tikal
  • Crokinole
  • No Thanks!
  • San Marco (possible)
    So, the real question is - do I want to push these games that I have already played a number of times this year to 5 playings, or do I want to try and get in some of the games I wanted to get in by the end of the year? I have a pretty good shot at making those all nickels on my list (assuming Justin K plays his turns in our online Tikal game). If I do that, that should make 14 games that hit my Nickel and Dime list for 2007. Now, the truth is, I don't care if any of these don't make the list, as long as I got to play something...
  • No comments: