Wednesday, February 17, 2010

LotR - TC:DE

After finishing his homework the other day, my son asked me to teach him a new game. I looked around and realized I had just the thing. Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition. This is one I managed to finally snag in a trade a little while back, but hadn't even gone so far as to read the rules on. At any rate, I pulled it out, scanned the rules and set about explaining how to play. Luckily, the rules are pretty straight forward - move forward. Attacks are like Stratego, but with a twist - you also play a card from your hand. Most have more numbers, but some let you play a card you've already played or some such. In addition, each piece has text that allows you to win over another or break a rule. Ashton took the forces of Sauron, whilst I took on the Fellowship and attempted to return the One Ring to Mt. Doom. I apparently make a bad Frodo, as Ashton came out with the victory. This is a Knizia game and after playing, I can see where a few plays to get a feel for all the pieces will not make the game stale, but rather will bring the game to life. My son has apparently taken a shine to the game as well, as he has already asked for us to play again after school tomorrow.

No comments: